[Talk-us] Tiger 2007 Data

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 21:54:12 BST 2008

The improvement of tiger data accuracy I think was about 2/3 to 3/4 done in
the 2007 set.  They listed what had not been improved yet by county
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tgrshp2007/tgrshp07nomtaip.txt  So
skipping those this time for road data seems probable.

I would guess another big step in eliminating places to worry about would be
comparing the 2007 data to both the original import and the current OSM  If
the old tiger and current OSM match, but the 2007 data differs, then replace
with the 2007 data.  That is going to be a lot of spatial and meta tag
comparisons though.  The big idea being trying to limit data that needs to
be uploaded and merged.

I don't recall reading that anyone got beyond the conceptual stages of
another Tiger import.  I believe they changed from "tiger" format to shape
files?  So the shape to osm converters as well as your original script seem
a place to start.  I did some playing around with the MassToOSM python
script.  For what I used and where I go to see
http://www.nabble.com/My-shape-file-import-steps-so-far-td19267077.html  My
intention was to get county level files and work from that one county at a
time.  Where I got hung up was I didn't know how to break up a county wide
file in order to better work on it.

There was also talk about importing better hydro data, but I'm not sure
where that got to.

If processing load instead of uploading to OSM is an issue, perhaps do your
setup with the idea of maiking it into a VM.  Have a master system tracking
the jobs, perhaps uploading results back to it for import to OSM.

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 14:29 -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> > Dave Hansen writes:
> >  > Then, decide how if/when it is appropriate to write over the old TIGER
> >  > stuff with new.  Or, to merge it somehow.
> >
> > I've updated it in some cases.  Perhaps only update if the data is
> > unchecked?
>
> Sure, that would be one reasonable thing.
>
> But, for now, I'm just trying to get an idea of the scale of the
> problem.  That's going to be a challenge in and of itself.
>
> -- Dave

Dale Puch