[Talk-us] Tiger 2007 Data

Nick Hocking nick.hocking at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:12:53 GMT 2008

"Well, #2 would be nice but it would be tricky to detect a collision with an
existing way. Frankly, because the first TIGER import was done, the number
of completely new ways that would be added in a new import would be small,
and the number of those ways that conflict with ways added manually by
editors would be even smaller. So, I think it's a small sacrifice to have to
remove a few duplicated roads in exchange for county-wide improved
accuracy."

Karl,

I agree #2 could be tricky but I believe it is essential.
I don't think you can corrupt someones edits and then say to them
"sorry, we decided to sacrifice your hard work because we determined
that it was for the greater good."

 It hope that is not the OSM way.

Also I despute your statement of "a few" but notwithstanding that, this is
not a numbers game......

"gee officer - I only killed a few people - there are hundreds left" is not
going to get you very far.

Still, I will say that if the numbers of duplicated way are so few then
I think that the person who creates the duplicated ways should also
fix them up. Then I'd have no problem with the uploads so long as rules
1 and 3 are also kept.

I would repeat that unless the new data has most of the non existant roads
gone and has dual carriageway interstates, then I'd give it a miss anyway.
I.E roads down by at least 40%. Motorways up by 100%.

Nick