[Talk-us] Blame me for JOSM yellowness

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Sun Apr 26 03:02:25 BST 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

> if it's an option I wouldn't wast a second to write about the pro/con.
> why does anyone try to force users to do it?
> I have patched josm already but not every user knows how to do it.

Apollinaris came to Sarah's mapping party in the Henry Coe State Park
today (yay!).  We spoke briefly about this issue.  The problem (and I
hope Apo will correct me if I mis-represent him) is that
tiger:reviewed is but the crudest possible metric for data quality (I
agree with that).  In Apo's mind it is worthless.  Thus, highlighting
it is also worthless.  I'm open to a discussion of whether it's
worthless or not, but I AGREE with Apo that if tiger:reviewed is
worthless, then so is highlighting its presence.  I hope that Apo can
agree that if we can find a way to make tiger:reviewed=no worth
removing, then highlighting it for everyone (not an option, not a
plugin) is the right thing to do.  We did a survey of people who have
mapped, but not recently, and some of them said that they stopped
because the "map is complete" in their area.  One of the reasons why I
suggested this change is to let people know that the tiger data,
unreviewed, is not complete.

So, the crux of our disagreement is that Apo says that
tiger:reviewed=no isn't worth editing, while I say that it's worth
editing.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson