[Talk-us] Import of EPA data

Tue Dec 15 06:58:32 GMT 2009

At 2009-12-14 22:06, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
>The url  is :
>http://iaspub.epa.gov/enviro/national_kml.registry_html?p_registry_id=110038753872
>
>This resolves to:
>A LOCATION IDENTIFIED BY A BROWNFIELDS PILOT/GRANT.
>LOCATION ADDRESS        22 GARDINER CREEK ROAD, WASHBURN, ME 04786
>COUNTY NAME     AROOSTOOK
>http://iaspub.epa.gov/enviro/fii_query_detail.disp_program_facility?p_registry_id=110038753872
>

>Information System      ASSESSMENT, CLEANUP AND REDEVELOPMENT EXCHANGE SYSTEM
>Information System ID   36422
>Environmental Interest Type     BROWNFIELDS PROPERTY
>Data Source     ACRES
>Last Updated Date       11/13/2007
>
>Now, if we look at the map, we see that it is misplaced, it is off by
>some 1-2 km,
>but if you wanted to find it , you could.

Maybe I'm missing something, but after looking at the above, and everything
on the related pages, I don't understand the purpose of importing this
particular node. Even if correctly positioned, what makes it useful to map?
What is it to be tagged?

>First the name is off by one character, GARDNER and not GARDINER, but
>a fuzzy match would find that.

I see (in the Los Angeles area) lots of mis-spellings, mis-naming, overly
verbose naming, etc. Again typical of databases that are not well edited.

>Also, why the schools are listed? I think because they are in the database :
>National Center for Education Statistics (NCES)
>The NCES is the primary federal database for collecting and analyzing
>data related to education in the United States and other Nations. It
>is located in the U.S. Department of Education, within the Institute
>of Education Sciences.
>
>For example :
>http://iaspub.epa.gov/enviro/fii_query_detail.disp_program_facility?p_registry_id=110021997794
>NATIONAL CENTER FOR EDUCATION STATISTICS
>         231170000514    REGULAR SCHOOL  NCES    12/30/2006      STATE
> ID-45204
>That would make sense to make sure the schools are not built next to a
>superfund....

I routinely see dups in the case of schools (at least), since someone
already did a GNIS import, some of which has now been manually geolocated.
Why import these again?