[Talk-us] National Forest Boundaries

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Thu Feb 19 17:21:07 GMT 2009

Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Theodore Book <tbook at libero.it> wrote:
>
>> I have put the various proposals on the wiki at:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_Forest_Service_Data
>>
>> It seems like the landuse=forest tag has a fair amount of consensus, but
>> that we are not yet sure how to tag the fact that it is a national
>> forest, and not just any forest.
>>

> Especially since there may be large swathes within the national forest
> boundary that are devoid of trees...

There is also a distinction between landuse=forest and natural=wood.

But analogous to boundary=national_park there could be
boundary=national_forest.  And then one would need to extend this to
state parks and forests as well as metro parks and who knows what kind
of administrations manage some pieces of land.

So maybe this should be boundary=park,admin_level=1 for national parks
and admin_level=2 for state parks and so on.

The possibilities are endless ...

Matthias