[Talk-us] Fixing TIGER

Dion Dock dion_dock at comcast.net
Wed Jul 8 05:22:02 BST 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:14:31 -0400
> From: Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Fixing TIGER
> To: Talk-us <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>
> stevec wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Just want to highlight to people here some neat things to help fixing
>> TIGER. There's now a map layer highlighting what needs help:
>>
>> 	http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=626
>>
>> as well as some HOWTOs on what needs fixing
>>
>> 	http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup
>
> my pet goal is missing from that list (it's only sort of a part
> of "Wrong road classification"), and that is, missing "surface"
> keys, to indicate whether a road is paved or not.  this is a key
> piece of information for many kinds of navigation (bicycling,
> motorcycling, and for many others in the case of foul weather),
> and it's completely missing (or mostly incorrect) on all other
> free and non-free maps.

I agree; I'm not particularly interested in how rough a surface is,
generally gravel vs paved vs dirt is good enough.  There are lots of
roads that look appealing until you actually ride out three miles and
then see they turn to gravel.  It's fine for cars but usually a non-
starter for road bicycles.  Having five different smoothness ratings
is too much detail.

> unfortunately, there's not much incentive to add the information
> to OSM, because none of the renderers will display it anyway.  :-)
>
> (i started a thread on this earlier this year, and then dropped
> the ball by not continuing to lobby for changes to the renderers
> to fix this problem.)
>
> paul
> paul fox, pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 58.1
> degrees)