[Talk-us] Proposed automated motorway_link mass edit

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Fri Jul 17 05:34:49 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 03:41 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Preliminary analysis shows that there would be roughly 28k changes
> across the whole US. I have prepared a full list of all proposed
> changes, arranged by state and county, here:
>
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/us-motorway-link-downgrade/

Frederik, that's exceedingly cool stuff.  I have a validator plugin test
to do this which I was testing last weekend, but yours is on a
completely different scale.  Notice the lack of edits in Washington,
county, OR :).  Yours is very nice work.

Can you share some of the scripts and methods you used for this?  I do
think that some automated fix-bots would be nice to have run
periodically for cleanups like this that are pretty easy to verify.  I'd
also like to look into some gluing back together of the TIGER counties
and I wonder how suitable this would be.

Again, very, very cool stuff.

-- Dave