[Talk-us] National Park Mapping Party?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jun 16 20:54:53 BST 2009

I'm in the process of adding mapping data that I collected while
spending an afternoon in the Badlands National Park
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.851&lon=-102.045&zoom=11&layers=B000FTF)
last week.  Mostly just some scenic overlooks and a couple of the
easier trails (I didn't have the time nor had made preparations for
the longer/more difficult trails).  Anyway, seeing that what mostly
exists for the Badlands is from Tiger imports, I thought that it'd be
fun to have a National Park mapping party.   I've already used up my
vacation time for this summer but if things worked out I might be able
to make a party next summer.

The NPS has some GIS data available at:

http://www.nps.gov/gis/data_info/

but it's in an Arc/Info Export format that I haven't figured out how
to import/convert (short of writing a converter myself).  But it'd be
much more fun to have a mapping party anyway...

--
Jeff Ollie