[Talk-us] CDPs and admin_level

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Oct 12 15:27:32 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> Another question is if these CDPs should be rendered on the default map;
> I'd say no.  Would a renderer without special knowledge of admin_level
> render them or ignore them?  Perhaps bogus arguments, but as a thought
> experiment I think they make the point that these regions are
> fundamentally different from what we think of as admin_level.  (And thus
> worthy of a different tag.)

Don't forget that admin_level is a border tag and not a region tag.

Personally I don't think we should have mass imported the CDPs in the
first place.  In some areas they are useful.  In other areas they
aren't.  They were created by the Census Bureau to deal with their
particular needs, and I don't think those needs overlap enough with
OSM.  Where I live I'd prefer to use the neighborhood boundaries
designated by my county property appraiser.  I'm not sure if the
Census Bureau used them for their CDPs or not.  I've seen some pretty
much match up, but I haven't done an exhaustive check.

After the County/Parish/Borough level (which would be nice to move up
a notch, painful though it may be), why don't we let each state work
out the details?  In New Jersey, it'll probably be a lot easier than
in Florida, because New Jersey is 100% incorporated, while Florida is
mostly unincorporated.  These administrative regions differ greatly
from state to state.  Treating all of the US the same is nearly as bad
as treating all of the EU the same.

As an aside, I'd like to have property borders show up as a very light
gray, similar to the way Google Maps now displays property borders in
the US (the areas I've checked, anyway).  Can I use admin_level=12 for
that?  Please, be kind, don't throw anything at me for making that
suggestion.