[Talk-us] CDPs and admin_level

David Lynch djlynch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 18:49:18 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:28, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I sympathize with Greg, and if the surveyors and computational mappers
> ruled the world, the real world we seek to model will be simpler.
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, David Lynch <djlynch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> where city limits cross county lines,
>
> WTF? Where does that happen? down where a county is called a parish
> and is region within sound of a steeple?

It happens plenty of places. Atlanta, GA has a county line running a
couple miles east of downtown. Austin, TX is in parts of three
counties. Kansas City, MO is in at least three counties, and might
have a small area in a fourth if I read the lines correctly. Several
of the suburbs between Seattle and Tacoma appear to cross county
lines.

>  NYC inverts normal, iirc NYC is effectively a federation of
> city-counties called boroughs, but no county line crosses NYC
> boundary, right?

But you acknowledge that the city exists across more than one county,
which was the exact point I was trying to make.

--
David J. Lynch
djlynch at gmail.com