[Talk-us] CDPs and admin_level

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 13 01:14:02 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> My computer-science-impaired mind wants boundary=administrative
> admin_level=N+1 not to cross boundary=administrative admin_level=k for
> any k <= N.

You're still acting like the tags are put on regions, when the tags
are actually put on borders.

If you don't want a way with admin_level=12 to cross a way with
admin_level=4, just split the way.  :)

The whole thing is just tagging for the renderers anyway.  That's
basically admitted on the wiki page ("doing this based on border_type
would require knowledge of their hierarchy in each country").  If you
wanted to tag for reality, instead of for the renderers, you'd just
stick place=state/city/county on the boundary relation and be done
with it.  There's no need to tag the borders at all.