[Talk-us] Lot boundaries

Thu Oct 15 00:38:22 BST 2009

At 2009-10-14 16:20, Dave Hansen wrote:
>I noticed that when Google rev'd their maps, they also magically got lot
>lines when you zoom in.
>
>http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.952442,-123.027169&spn=0.001619,0.002044&z=19

I'm not seeing that, but...

>Would using those kind of data be better than using the TIGER data for
>addressing?  Any idea how Google got those data?

In my area, some cities and counties have GIS apps that you can use to see
those boundaries. I've asked and had confirmed, for example, that I can use
the lot lines shown in Riverside County Land Information System (
http://www3.tlma.co.riverside.ca.us/pa/rclis/viewer.htm ). This, of course,
is a manual process, and I don't see the need to use it for house parcels,
but find it useful to outline the area of large farms and commercial parcels.

The city of Rancho Cucamonga is similar (
http://gis.cityofrc.us/myneighborhood/ ).

San Bernardino County (the largest in the country, BTW) has shapefiles
available. I haven't approached them yet on copyright status.

The information presented in these sites is certainly public - I don't know
if a direct import crosses a line, though. Any thoughts on how to approach
this with them? I also don't think it's necessarily useful to bring in
individual residential housing parcel boundaries, though it's nice to be
able to mark the addresses of all the corners (usually with a node at their
driveways).