[Talk-us] Lot boundaries

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Oct 15 01:01:41 BST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2009-10-14 16:20, Dave Hansen wrote:
>>I noticed that when Google rev'd their maps, they also magically got lot
>>lines when you zoom in.
>>
>>http://maps.google.com/?ll=44.952442,-123.027169&spn=0.001619,0.002044&z=19
>
> I'm not seeing that, but...

You have to switch to "map mode" instead of "satellite mode".

>>Would using those kind of data be better than using the TIGER data for
>>addressing?

The parcel data may or may not include address information.

>> Any idea how Google got those data?

The data they have on my county in Florida looks identical to what I
downloaded from the county property appraiser (in shapefile format).
There is address information, but only one address per lot, so the
address information is basically only good for single family
residences and small businesses.  In combination with the Tiger data,
it might be quite useful, though.  I'm working on getting the data
ready to import.

An agreed upon methodology for tagging this sort of thing would be helpful :).

> I also don't think it's necessarily useful to bring in
> individual residential housing parcel boundaries, though it's nice to be
> able to mark the addresses of all the corners (usually with a node at their
> driveways).

Personally I don't have the location of the driveways.  All I have is
the outline of the parcel.  So that's what I'm going to tag - the
parcel.