[Talk-us] Bulk upload from sql server 2008 (via shapefile?)

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:10:25 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Lord-Castillo, Brett <
BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com> wrote:

>  I posted this up through Nabble, but it’s been sitting there 4 days
> without being accepted so I’m trying through the list instead:
>

> I have access to a significant amount of spatial data in sql server 2008
> spatial format for my county, covered under public domain/CC Share Alike.
> It consists of about 70k addressed road centerline segments and 700,000 or
> so building outlines, light rail lines and stations, police stations, fire
> stations, schools, addressing points, hospitals, and care facilities.  I
> have direct contact with the GIS coordinator to work on any licensing
> issues.
>
>  My question though is, how do I get this data from sql server spatial to
> OSM?
>
>  I can export out to any ArcInfo supported format (like shapefile).

I would start with this: export the various themes to shapefiles and then we
can work from there. I don't think anyone has any experience converting SQL
Server 2008 to OSM, but there's tons of experience converting SHP to OSM.

As for reconciliation after you get it into OSM format, it really depends on
the areas that the data covers. If it's in a highly active area, then
there's a greater chance that there will be more conflicts (but also
possibly more people to help you). Once we get the OSM files, we can work on
getting some help to merge old OSM with new OSM (perhaps from the Germans
(who have already mapped everything in their own country ;-) )).