[Talk-us] Admin boundaries tied to roads

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 16:01:23 BST 2010

I'd agree with Brett on the boundaries.  The Census data is not
perfect by any means, but it's pretty good, at least in my
area--Minnesota.  (and orders of magnitude better than it was in
2000!)  And if it's not good in your area, you should talk to your
local government and make sure they're participating in the Census'
yearly Boundary & Annexation Survey.
http://www.census.gov/geo/www/bas/bashome.html

>I can tell for sure that they are completely wrong in California. They are not even close to USGS 24k, don't align with official county borders from official sources and don't align with natural features, fences which are sometimes visible on Yahoo.

To further respond to this, there is no claim by the Census that it's
survey accuracy, or that it aligns with other data.  Fundamentally, it
is created by the Census for internal purposes, and all TIGER boundary
data is relative to the other TIGER data. (just like a lot of traced
OSM data is relative to the Yahoo imagery)  Everybody gets access to
it for free and you can use it when its good or ignore it when its bad
or modify it when its in between.  The bigger issue with it being
imported into OSM is the currency, because municipal boundaries are
always changing, and as has been mentioned, boundaries are not usually
something that is easily verifiable "on the ground"

Cheers,
Brad