[Talk-us] Admin boundaries tied to roads

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Apr 24 02:36:59 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Brad Neuhauser
<brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>wrote:

> The bigger issue with it being
> imported into OSM is the currency, because municipal boundaries are
> always changing, and as has been mentioned, boundaries are not usually
> something that is easily verifiable "on the ground"

I'd say the biggest issue is the fact that, when the census bureau couldn't
find data on municipalities, they decided to just "make shit up".  They
picked some arbitrary boundary which had roughly the right number of people
in it, and then named it after an actual place which happened to be nearby.

The CDPs are horrible when used for any purpose other than interpreting
census data.  I really wish the census bureau had named them "CDP 1283",
"CDP 1284", "CDP 1285", etc.