[Talk-us] Directional Prefix/Postfix Proposal

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Sun Aug 1 04:31:14 BST 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Val Kartchner wrote:

> 1) I agree with most of your proposal.
>  a) Your proposal doesn't take into account cases where there is both a
>     name and a numeric designation for a street.  An instance in Ogden,
>     Utah is "Washington Boulevard" and its alias "400 East".

In both cases doesn't a directional prefix apply.

However, to avoid ambiguity with the "_prefix" tag.  How about this rule.
The "_prefix" and "_suffix" apply to all name tags.  Hence if name_1 is
"400 East" than name_1_prefix shall be "S", etc.

>  b) In the example "700 East" that you give, wouldn't the official name
>     be "700 East Street"?

Do you call you numbered streets "Street" in Ogden?  I have never thought
about it much but I would always say I lived on "700 South" not "700 South
Street".  It sounds odd to non-locals (try giving that address to someone
in the east over the phone) but I don't think anyone really considers
"Street" part of the name of numbered streets.  Than again, I have only
been living here for 6 years, so I will yield to someone who grew up the
area.