[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Mon Aug 2 22:37:33 BST 2010

Okay, So I am a bit new here.  I tried to search the archives, but that
has only had limited success.

Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.Net> wrote:
> At 2010-07-31 18:54, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>>
>>   alt_name = "K Street Northwest" (would anyone really write this?)
>>
> I agree, but the abbreviation police held their ground last time we
> tried this, so...

So I would like to know has anyone tried to get the wiki page changed so
that it is not so rigid?

Or do people here really think everything should be expand to the
fullest.

Really, would anyone say: "United States Highway 29".  Rather than "U S
Highway 29" or more likely just "U S 29".

In the above example would anyone write out the directional suffix.  In
fact Alan didn't even know if that would be "Northwest" or "NorthWest".

At least "1st" hasn't been expand to "First", etc.  But just wait...