[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Mon Aug 2 22:56:51 BST 2010

At 2010-08-02 14:37, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.Net> wrote:
>>At 2010-07-31 18:54, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>>>
>>>   alt_name = "K Street Northwest" (would anyone really write this?)
>>I agree, but the abbreviation police held their ground last time we tried
>>this, so...
>
>So I would like to know has anyone tried to get the wiki page changed so
>that it is not so rigid?

Yes. Last time, a couple of us (or maybe just me - I forget) argued that it
was OK to use common abbreviations for some well-known street types - at
least St, Ave, Blvd, Pl, etc. - but the opposition was significant, and no
change could be agreed upon. (OT - I wish that recognition of similar
opposition in the tiger tag removal were given the same weight)

>Or do people here really think everything should be expand to the fullest.

Trying to keep the discussion focused, I didn't write about all the places
where abbreviations _are_ actually being widely used, theoretically against
policy, like road networks, bike networks, pretty much any import with its
own namespace, hgv, psv, source, etc.