[Talk-us] Would Like To Clean Salt Lake City Street Names

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Aug 3 21:57:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson.dhs.org> wrote:
> I'm almost done with this script.  It's not a full bot, but instead modifies
> an osm file which I will read back into JOSM and upload the changed parts
> (or if that doesn't work use one of the upload scripts). Changes in what It
> will do noted below.
[ ... ]
> I'm not going to do this.  Instead I am going to simply remove variants on
> "name" (for example all other names in the "900 East" example).  And than
> leave all other name_* and *_name alone (i.e. name_1, alt_name, etc). When
> the alternate name is a numbered street, it will get the ".prefix" and
> ".full" tags.  For example:
>  name: Lorna Circle
>  name_1: 3805 South
>  name_1.prefix: W
>  name_1.full: West 3805 South

Whoa.  Are you considering adding a period "." to the key?  Might that
mess up postgres?  From

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-syntax-lexical.html

"The period (.) is used in numeric constants, and to separate schema,
table, and column names. "

Perhaps bounce some of these ideas around on dev?