[Talk-us] Would Like To Clean Salt Lake City Street Names

Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 05:32:42 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:05 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> I'm almost done with this script.  It's not a full bot, but instead
> modifies an osm file which I will read back into JOSM and upload the
> changed parts (or if that doesn't work use one of the upload scripts).
> Changes in what It will do noted below.

Go ahead and finish the script, but don't run it until we get a
consensus here.

> > 6) The "alt_name_*" tags shall include any other names found in the "name_*"
> > tags which I can't make sense of.  These can be hand checked later.
>
> I'm not going to do this.  Instead I am going to simply remove variants on
> "name" (for example all other names in the "900 East" example).  And than
> leave all other name_* and *_name alone (i.e. name_1, alt_name, etc).
> When the alternate name is a numbered street, it will get the ".prefix"
> and ".full" tags.  For example:
>    name: Lorna Circle
>    name_1: 3805 South
>    name_1.prefix: W
>    name_1.full: West 3805 South

Here is an instance where there are several names for a street:
"Antelope Drive" is also "1700 South".  East of "2000 West" it is also
"State Highway 108", and west it is "State Highway 127".  Also, through
Syracuse it is signed as "Syracuse Road".  (I'm still investigating the
signs to see exactly what portions should be so labeled.)

This means that some sort of numbered alternatives need to be in the OSM
database.  So, which set of tags do we use: "name_*" or "alt_name_*"?
Whichever it is, it needs to be standardized.  This should be done
worldwide.

- Val -