[Talk-us] Would Like To Clean Salt Lake City Street Names

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Wed Aug 4 06:23:31 BST 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Val Kartchner wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 14:05 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>> I'm almost done with this script.  It's not a full bot, but instead
>> modifies an osm file which I will read back into JOSM and upload the
>> changed parts (or if that doesn't work use one of the upload scripts).
>> Changes in what It will do noted below.
>
> Go ahead and finish the script, but don't run it until we get a
> consensus here.

No one really objected that strongly and I am specially limited the scope
of what it does.  I plan to run it tomorrow unless I get some strong
objections.  The only slightly controversial part might be the removal of the
directional prefix.  But this is very easy to undue.

>>> 6) The "alt_name_*" tags shall include any other names found in the "name_*"
>>> tags which I can't make sense of.  These can be hand checked later.
>>
>> I'm not going to do this.  Instead I am going to simply remove variants on
>> "name" (for example all other names in the "900 East" example).  And than
>> leave all other name_* and *_name alone (i.e. name_1, alt_name, etc).
>> When the alternate name is a numbered street, it will get the ".prefix"
>> and ".full" tags.  For example:
>>    name: Lorna Circle
>>    name_1: 3805 South
>>    name_1.prefix: W
>>    name_1.full: West 3805 South
>
> Here is an instance where there are several names for a street:
> "Antelope Drive" is also "1700 South".  East of "2000 West" it is also
> "State Highway 108", and west it is "State Highway 127".  Also, through
> Syracuse it is signed as "Syracuse Road".  (I'm still investigating the
> signs to see exactly what portions should be so labeled.)
>
> This means that some sort of numbered alternatives need to be in the OSM
> database.  So, which set of tags do we use: "name_*" or "alt_name_*"?
> Whichever it is, it needs to be standardized.  This should be done
> worldwide.

As I was trying to get at, my script specially does not address this.  I
leave the name tags alone for the most part.  I saw a lot of this in the
data I was working with and most of it will require manual cleanup.
Perhaps a more specific example of what it does would help.

Something is clearly wrong with this tagging.  But since i don't know what
to do with out I just clean it up a little.
IN:
   name: South 6130  West
   name_1: South 2nd West
   name_2: South 200 West
OUT:
   name: 6130 West
   name:prefix: S
   name:full: South 6130 West
   name_1: 200 West
   name_1:prefix: S
   name_1:full: South 200 West
Notice how name_2 is gone, as that is redundant.  To really fix it the
way most likely it needs to be split in two.

Here is another mess:

IN:
   name: East Ninth South Circle
   name_1: 9th South Circle
   name_2: East 900 South
   name_3: East 9th South
   name_4: East 900  South
OUT:
   name: East Ninth South Circle
   name_1: 9th South Circle
   name_2: 900 South
   name_2:prefix: E
   name_2:full: East 900 South

So here, more could be done, but that can always be cleaned up better
later.

And finally here is a nice clean case:

IN:
   name: East 900 South