[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Wed Aug 4 18:00:26 BST 2010

I have found that in almost every case, the road really is officially named "service road" or "frontage road" if the naming authority is a county or municipality. In most cases though, the naming authority for such roads generally belongs to the State, who gives the road a name like an official name North Highway 40 Frontage Road (with the direction always designated side of the highway the road runs along, not direction the road runs), and then shortens it on the sign.
The exceptions are when the state has an even more cryptic system that gives the frontage road an official name like R40N270170. This is common when the frontage or service road is technically a ramp. In those cases though, the roads rarely have signage.
--Brett

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017