[Talk-us] Remember the "On the Ground" addendum

Wed Aug 4 18:34:20 BST 2010

At 2010-08-04 06:33, Lord-Castillo, Brett wrote:
>Moral of my little story. Remember the addendum to the on the ground rule:
>"In the case where there are multiple local names, then if the government
>with effective and sustained control of the area has an official source of
>names or an official stance on a naming dispute, then that name is default."
>And don't assume that the name on the sign is the correct local name. Odds
>are the agency that put it there is not the agency responsible for
>official names.

Interesting story.

In my experience in SoCal, the accuracy of the signs varies by city, but
it's usually the sign that is wrong in the case of an inconsistency with
county records (tract, parcel, survey maps). In these cases, I've informed
the city (who is generally responsible for the signage), and they generally
respond with a signage fix (or intend to, anyway). I put the correct name
in the name tag and the incorrectly signed name in the alt_name tag and add
a FIXME to recheck in the future.

On a few occasions, I've found inconsistencies among multiple county
records and the signage, and come to the conclusion that one of the records
is wrong, which I then report to the county and/or city involved. These
take more time to get fixed, but there's no need to tag the incorrect name
at all.

Occasionally, I've stumbled on a naming dispute like the one Brett
described, where a name given by a city doesn't match the records or the
signs. These are difficult to resolve (certainly for me with no official
capacity), and are always just a subjective call as far as tagging.

Basically, my goal is that the name on the signage should be in the map in
either the alt_name or name tags, since that's how most people will know it.