[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:52:52 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think the NHD "import" is a good example of a well-intentioned importer
> > (me) gone wrong. I had initially planned to import the whole darn thing
> in
> > one swoop, but various technical and life challenges came up before I
> could
> > get it going. While I was working on those issues, people started
> importing
> > it themselves (sometimes marking so on the wiki, sometimes not). Now that
> > there are some areas imported, the import of the whole dataset becomes
> > infinitely harder because we have to match existing data with new
> OSM-ified
> > data.
>
> But how is this any different from importing it into an area where
> people have already mapped some lakes from aerials?

It isn't any different. I had made the (bad) decision at the time to import
over any existing data because in the several hundred places I spot-checked,
NHD was vastly superior in resolution (and probably quality).

If we wanted to support imports as a community, a tool like [0] should be
the only way of letting imports in to OSM.

[0]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Import_Database#French_Corine_Import_as_Template