[Talk-us] Directional Prefix/Postfix Proposal

Tue Aug 10 22:10:49 BST 2010

At 2010-08-03 00:24, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>One more specific question below:
>>On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Alan Mintz wrote:
>>
>>2. Some, however, do use the prefix on the signs and in verbal. The
>>direction appears in front of the name in the same font:
>>>name = "West 17th Street"
>>>name_prefix = "W"
>>>name_prefix_included = yes
>>>name_root = "17th"
>>>name_type = "St"
>
>So what does the sign really say: "W 17th St", "West 17th St", etc?

It depends on which sign. From recollection, it is usually spelled out as
West in large overhead signs, but I imagine smaller signs might abbreviate.
In any case, I think your point was abbreviation here, which we've tabled
(for now).

(BTW, AFAIC, feel free to edit down to the relevant portion of the post -
it's too easy to miss small comments within large postings like these, even
with proper indenting)