[Talk-us] Address Standard

Alan Millar amillar503 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 04:09:02 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 13:57 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> My main goal was to separate out the directional prefix because, which
> while important for mailing, did not really belong as part of the street
> name.  I thought I would take care of the suffix as well.

You may think it doesn't really belong as part of the street name, and
that may possibly be true in your neighborhood.  But in my neighborhood,
it definitely IS part of the street name and can't be left off, for
mailing or not.  In my part of the Portland area, SW Takena is a
completely separate unrelated street from NW Takena.  In Seattle, Forest
Ave S is completely separate and unrelated from Forest Ave SE.

So I disagree, it does belong as part of the street name.  If you have a
prefix or suffix that you think is optional, don't call it the
directional prefix or suffix that the rest of the country uses; we have
them for a reason.

- Alan