[Talk-us] Changeset 5393406

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 04:30:46 BST 2010

Yep. Guilty. That was a major mistake. Changeset 5393406 was never meant to
hit openstreetmap.org.

In the initial phases of the prototype project at USGS, we were using
Merkaartor to demonstrate editing our data, loading it as a .OSM file.
Somehow, I must have hit "save changes" and uploaded the friggin' thing to
OSM. It could have happened a little later when we were testing the firewall
configuration for our new server running the OSM server. I was switching
between the real OSM and our copy to monitor behavior changes in Merkaartor.
Initially the firewall was screwed down so tight that our copy of Potlatch
couldn't request the initial config files. So I was using Merkaartor and
with the same user ID and password in both osm.org and our server (a bad
idea).

So yeah, if someone wants to nuke changeset 5393406, please do. I'll do it
in the morning if no one else has. Right now I just had a beer and don't
want to risk screwing things up further by running some Perl script against
the API. I guess you could "punish" me by making me delete each of the
30,000 nodes manually. But I'd appreciate it if you didn't.

-Eric

P.S. And for those attending SOTM-US, I apologize that we had to drop out at
the last moment. Because of dealing with network security at the USGS and
because one of one key team members is on a long leave of absence, we felt
it would be better to invest the time in moving our project along rather
than talking about it. My colleague Barbara Poore will be there and can give
you some information.