[Talk-us] USGS imagery (was: Changeset 5393406)

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 06:08:29 BST 2010

Getting a consistent directory of services has been one of my crusades at
the USGS. Fortunately, other people have picked up on it as well. The
services behind the new National Map Viewer 2.0 will all follow a more
predictable naming scheme. I'm hoping the USGS will do more caching of tiles
as well (but the USGS still thinks hard drive space is expensive).

I'll dig around a little... personally, I'm wary of using the Terraserver
imagery unless there has been a specific license granted to OSM to use it.
Even though they are technically just "hosting" public domain data, the
nature of public domain is that they can claim copyright over it within the
context of their hosting service (just as people can print it in a book and
claim copyright on the book). Unlike cc-by-sa or odbl, if something is pd it
can become more restrictively licensed by third parties. The crazy thing is
that people actually make money by selling copyrighted versions of free
information.

-Eric