[Talk-us] Changeset 5393406

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Fri Aug 13 06:24:31 BST 2010

On Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:17:25 pm, Eric Wolf wrote:
> I know this seems like a silly question, coming from me and all, but where
> are you getting your NAIP tiles from?

The USDA Geospatial gateway lets you download county-sized mosiacs of NAIP imagery:

  http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/

Two drawbacks:

 * Limit of 4 GB of data per request (some counties have mosiacs larger than that)
 * Images are distributed as MrSid, a proprietary format that has variable support (usually bad) in proprietary and free software

I've used Global Mapper (proprietary) to convert to GeoTIFF, and then GeoTIFF to tiles with gdal2tiles.py, which can work with Potlatch, Merkaartor, JOSM, etc. I've been hosting some counties in New Mexico here:

  http://maps.rhombic.net/

Going to write this up on the wiki someday…

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon compounds.  Biochemistry is the study of carbon compounds that crawl.
-- Mike Adams (530)