[Talk-us] Address Standard

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Fri Aug 13 06:58:51 BST 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Alan Millar wrote:

> I am currently on a road trip and today I am in Utah.  In the last hour
> I just drove on  200 So.,  200 S.,  200 South,  No. Temple,  N. Temple,
> and North Temple.  I also drove past 1400 West and "1465 W" without a
> period.  And those were the city signs!  That doesn't include addresses
> signed on buildings, which included several "West North Temple".  I did
> not once see "W North Temple" or "W. North Temple" on any signs or
> buildings.

Yes the signing is not entirely consistent.  But none of the official street
signs includes the directional prefix.  It is just "North Temple", not
"West North Temple".  This is why, for my area the directional prefix
should not be part of the name.

> So, no, I don't trust that mappers are going to remember abbreviation
> rules only for limited definitions of subjectively-optional name parts,
> when they disagree with city signs.  If OSM rules do disagree with
> signs, they need to be simple and readily verifiable by others.

Okay, you made your point with the abbreviations.  I am not going to argue
it any further.

> For people who are new or can't figure it out, put the whole
> unabbreviated name in the "name" tag.  Period.  For address nerds who
> care, put the additional information in additional tags.
>
> West North Temple needs to be tagged as:
>
> name=West North Temple
> name_dir_prefix=West
> name_base=North Temple

As I just said not a _single_ street sign included the directional
prefix.  Therefore it should not be part of the name.  It is really
part of the address.

Alan, I just posted a description on the two different uses of directional
prefixes.  Do you still really think the directional prefix, as used in
Salt Lake City, _has_ to be part of the name?  Or are you willing to yield
to someone who has lived in the area?

>> From there, you can do anything you could possibly want with the map
> renderer(s), mkgmap, navit, or any other map data application, without
> guessing or getting it wrong.

There are still many ways to get it wrong.  Abbreviations are not the only
way street signs are inconsistent.