[Talk-us] Address Standard

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Fri Aug 13 18:27:57 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:11 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Mike Thompson wrote:
>
> >> Do paper maps include the directional prefix or postfix?  I looked at a few
> >> maps of Washington DC and not one of them I saw include the quadrant suffix.
> >
> > I have a map of DC and it contains the quadrant suffixes.
>
> On every single street?  What map is this.  Maps that are created from
> google or yahoo maps don't count.
>
> I have a paper map that doesn't.   Also look at
> "http://www.google.com/images?q=washington dc map".  Notice how almost
> none of those maps include the street suffixes.  Some display the quadrant
> information, but not as a part of _every_ street.

How about this (Go zoom in on the 4th image).

http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Portland-Map-Laminated-Folding/dp/1886705518/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281720154&sr=8-1

Squinting at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-Streets-Portland-Oregon/dp/0528867768/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281720154&sr=8-2

it looks the same

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Guide-2006-Portland-Oregon/dp/0528857142/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281720154&sr=8-5

you'll have to look at the random pages from the page view.

Maybe Oregon's just weird, but that *IS* the way our streets are.  "NW"
is a fundamental part of the street name.  It needs to be either drawn
on the street when rendering, or have some clear explanation on the map
of why not (like the keys showing Burnside and the Wilamette in
Portland).

-- Dave