[Talk-us] Address Standard

Wed Aug 18 03:40:39 BST 2010

At 2010-08-17 18:44, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it really not part of the street name, what are the rules you use to
> > determine it is only part of the address?
>
>In Orlando the city and county ground-mounted street signs have a
>square at the end for the address block. The directional prefix, if
>present, also appears there.
>Example on what TIGER calls South Westmoreland Drive:
>http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.515555,-81.392877&spn=0.015404,0.041199&t=k&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.515547,-81.393042&panoid=FgoBLwm7V3KHZOXf7Oklcw&cbp=12,122.26,,1,-0.48

This looks like what I described as:

- They are not in front of the name on the street signs. If anywhere, they
are in a smaller font, after the address starting

So, the remaining questions are:

- When you look at official records, like assessor's and tract maps, is it
called "South Westmoreland Dr"?

- If someone is giving you directions, do they say "Go west on West 26th
Street, then south on South Westmoreland Drive."?

- It does appear that 2500 N Westmoreland Dr and 2500 S Westmoreland Dr are
separate addresses in Orlando, according to USPS
(http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp). However, no prefixes are used for
addresses on 26th St, despite the presence on the sign.

My guess is that this is a place where the prefixes should be moved out of
the name tag, but this should be left up to a local.