[Talk-us] Address Standard

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Wed Aug 18 05:40:01 BST 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Alan Mintz wrote:

> At 2010-08-17 18:44, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Is it really not part of the street name, what are the rules you use to
>> > determine it is only part of the address?
>>
>> In Orlando the city and county ground-mounted street signs have a
>> square at the end for the address block. The directional prefix, if
>> present, also appears there.
>> Example on what TIGER calls South Westmoreland Drive:
>> http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.515555,-81.392877&spn=0.015404,0.041199&t=k&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.515547,-81.393042&panoid=FgoBLwm7V3KHZOXf7Oklcw&cbp=12,122.26,,1,-0.48
>
> This looks like what I described as:
>
> - They are not in front of the name on the street signs. If anywhere, they
> are in a smaller font, after the address starting
>

> So, the remaining questions are:
>
> - When you look at official records, like assessor's and tract maps, is it
> called "South Westmoreland Dr"?
>
> - If someone is giving you directions, do they say "Go west on West 26th
> Street, then south on South Westmoreland Drive."?
>
> - It does appear that 2500 N Westmoreland Dr and 2500 S Westmoreland Dr are
> separate addresses in Orlando, according to USPS
> (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp). However, no prefixes are used for
> addresses on 26th St, despite the presence on the sign.

I think you forgot the most import test:  Can the Intersection of 26th
Street and Westmoreland Drive only be one possible location on the map?
That is, lets assume all streets extend indefinitely.  Can Westmoreland Drive
intersect with East 26th Street, what about 26th street intersecting with
North Westmoreland Drive.  In my view the intersection test should be
given the most weight,  it is a concrete test the distinguishes prefixes
used mainly as part of the address and prefixes (and suffixes) which identify a
region of the city.  If there where two roughly parallel 26th Streets (or
Westmoreland Drives) than the above test will fail.

> My guess is that this is a place where the prefixes should be moved out of
> the name tag, but this should be left up to a local.

I agree with both points.