[Talk-us] OSMF US Board Elections in progress

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 18:37:20 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:

> Candidates might consider posting statements on talk-us. Providing
> an opportunity for candidates to say something might have been
> done at SOTM US but wasn't, maybe we should have (at least 9
> if not all 10 of the board candidates were in attendance.)

That's a good idea.

My name is Serge Wroclawski. I'm a candidate running for the board of OSM US.

My involvement in OpenStreetMap started about two years ago with a
talk by Richard Weait. I don't have a formal background in GIS but I
immediately saw the benefits to having geographic information that was
free in the same way we have Free/Open Source software, a free
encyclopedia, and free textbooks.

In my time with OpenStreetMap, I've been fairly active. Most recently,
I currently serve on the temporary board of OpenStreetMap United
States. I also served on the conference planning committee for SOTM
US. I'm also one of the founders of MappingDC, a local mapping group
that meets in the Washington, DC region.

I've been involved in the Free Software/Open Source movement since
1997, when I installed Linux on my PC in my dorm room. At that time I
had no formal CS training either, so there are a lot of parallels.
With OpenStreetMap, I've learned a lot in the short time I've been
with OSM, I've been developing software, and also writing guides to
help people use OSM more effectively, including an alternative
database/XAPI server, and my current project, to help make imports and
bots a little more manageable.

I have great aspirations for OSM US and I hope that I'm given the
privilege of being able to take part in a leadership position.

- Serge