[Talk-us] Meetups around the US

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:31:53 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> There was a super fun OSM meetup in Denver last night with about 20 people
> there. It was the second one (they're monthly now), hosted upstairs in a bar
> that did good food.
>
>        Picture: http://opengeodata.org/osm-denver-second-meetup
>
> There are various plans to start running mapping parties and other events
> We need to make our zoo here in Denver as well mapped as DC or Berlin :-).
> It's a format that's working pretty well in places like the UK and Germany -
> regular meetings to chat OSM.
>
> I think there are fairly regular meetups in SF? And in DC there is a geo
> meetup with an OSM slant (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Is there anyone here from other major metros like Chicago? Seattle? LA?
> Boston? NY? Do you want some help getting a meetup started? It feels like
> the community is mature enough here in the US to begin regular meetups in
> most cities, publicize them on things like meetup.com and get a community
> going. Each will have it's own goals per city of course.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm here in Minneapolis and have done a couple mapping parties (with 7 or 8
people) where mapping actually happened. I think get-togethers/meetups would
be a good next step. I'm not very social and don't enjoy the "bar-scene"
very much. Have any tips for pulling something like this together?

Also, since I'm a nerd: would it be helpful to have a list/calendar/map
mashup of active meetups on the osm.us page somewhere?