[Talk-us] Towns as Areas or Points

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Aug 31 15:26:36 BST 2010

* Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> [2010-08-31 06:36 -0400]:
> Do I fix the node? Do I copy the tags from the node into this relation
> and then fix the relation?

In my opinion, the closest thing to "right" here would be to copy the node
tags into the relation and change the relation to place=city.  (Even
though Silver Spring is unincorporated, the third largest population
center in the state should probably be considered a city.)

There are, however, two potential issues with that.  The first is that
since Silver Spring is unincorporated, the boundaries are from the Census'
rough estimation of where Silver Spring is, so leaving the point might
better reflect the amorphous nature of Silver Spring's boundaries.

The second problem is purely a rendering matter, but the main Mapnik
styles do not currently recognize place= tags on administrative
boundaries, so you wouldn't get the rendering you want.  The proper
solution to that, of course, is to treat place= tags on polygons similarly
to place= tags on nodes, but that doesn't help you right now.

Because of the issues with the relative arbitrariness of most
admin_level=8 boundaries in Maryland (since very few of our towns are
incorporated with definite boundaries), I mostly just ignore those
boundaries and work exclusively with the place nodes.  (OTOH, a lot of the
'place=hamlet's from GNIS are actually housing subdivisions, so I turn
those into landuse=residential polygons, leaving the place= nodes
exclusively for actual towns and such.)

> If I remove this node, will bad things happen?

Aside from not fixing the rendering, probably not.  I've had
administrative boundaries turn up in Nomanitim searches.  (One caveat is
that they show up as "administrative boundary", so Nominatim is ignoring
their place= tags which would show whether they're a city, town, village,
etc.)

--- --
			      Out of memory.
		      We wish to hold the whole sky,