[Talk-us] [Warning: Potential Flamewar] Clarifying Interstate Relations

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Mon Feb 8 19:13:14 GMT 2010

Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> writes:

> What's more annoying is that he is changing the names/refs.   From
> what I understand the ref is supposed to be only the
> interstate/highway number (e.g. "90" or "80") and not "I 90 (MN)".

And I don't like this at all.  First, this seems to be different than
how this is handled in many other places in the world.  From what I
have seen in Europe there is always the complete designation how it is
found on highway shields used in the ref tag.

Second, separating out the highway system requires the data consuming
application to know how to piece things back together.  Otherwise, a
shield on a map for example with just a "25" in it is pretty limited in
use.

Third, I consider a reference containing just the number to be
incomplete.  IMHO, the ref tag should contain the complete designation
of a piece of highway.  This also makes it easier to search for this.

Matthias