[Talk-us] Whole-US Garmin Map (02-10-2010) update

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:25:37 GMT 2010

On 17 Feb 2010, at 23:34 , Sam Vekemans wrote:

> For contour Garmin maps. I would use mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com its the
> worldwide collection of Garmin Maps of all types.
> Many have uploaded contour maps. Just make sure their transparent.

not sure if they will like to host such a big amount of data. And upload through a webinterface isn't an options for so many tiles

> Ideally, i want to find a way to generate a mapsource install routeen
> that will load the latest OSM data & download the contour data IMG
> files at the same time.

I use mainly Roadtrip and all is scripted without install. If I absolutely need Mapsource then Mapset toolkit is sufficient and not much more complicated than starting an installer. I think mkgmap has also an option to create a a control file for a Mapsource installer with some 3rd party package tool. But once you mess up Mapsource Mapset Toolkit is a must have to clean broken registry.

> Im manually making 10m contours for all of Canada (it will be a 2 gig
> install when done) maybe someone wants to make on for all of USA?

have used this combination for a compromise of speed/size/precision. as said srtm data isn't that good and 10m seemed overkill. with NED data it's a different story
25m minor
100m medium
200m major

what did you use for medium and major contours?