[Talk-us] US Highway Tagging, Was Changeset reverted...

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sun Feb 28 19:50:09 GMT 2010

>yes, but the wiki isn't free of errors and can't be used as absolute reference. Who wrote it? was it based on wide agreement?

   If it's in wide use for a long period of time with no objections, it is closer to a standard than any other convention.

> don't tag for the renderer!

   That's ok, as long we're not creating data that's usable by no one since there wouldn't be enough information otherwise.   (But then, are OSM'rs like mathematicians who are offended when one of their proofs actually has a real world application?)

>If it's absolutely needed use a special namespace e.g. hwshields:* and never hijack existing well defined tags.

  Agreed, but the ref tag is seemingly loosely defined for highway.  The Wiki states "Any valid syntax value" for ref=.  I don't see anything in highway tag that states a preferred convention.

>Which is where the network=* tag comes in, it tells you explicitly if
it's national (network=I), state (network=S) or county (network=CO)

  network= would be a good tag to way to address this for US highway tagging.  To date, the Wiki suggests its use only for relations, not highways themselves.