[Talk-us] Fwd: [OSM-talk] Help! Changeset reverted without explanation

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 18:11:50 GMT 2010

moving thread to talk-us where it belongs

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Mike N" <niceman at att.net>
> Date: 28 February 2010 9:17:01 PST
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Help! Changeset reverted without explanation
>
>  I don't see that the Wiki is self-contradictory in this case; it quite clearly states the convention for US and US Interstate highway refs.

yes, but the wiki isn't free of errors and can't be used as absolute reference. Who wrote it? was it based on wide agreement?

>   Is there a good argument to omitting the state abbreviation from the ref?   Will the end result of changing to just a number be usable by the "Highway Shields" project?   The common reference "County road 49" comes to mind, and how can county, state and US highways be distinguished from each other?

don't tag for the renderer!
If it's absolutely needed use a special namespace e.g. hwshields:* and never hijack existing well defined tags.  btw google, yahoo maps render state hw with numbers only. But they don't do state specific shields. I do like the current rendering where we clearly see when a route crosses state borders. If it's just for that reason I don't mind to keep the state prefix even that it is wrong. But if there is any strong reason to remove it then let's do it.

>    I have no opinion - it would be good to agree on the highway and route relation tagging conventions.

hw relations are not used by any renderer or software I know of.
and after all the highway shields project is practically dead. there was one dirty hack which will never make it upstream. a really bad reason to stick to dirty relation tagging as defined in the wiki.
it's a chicken egg situation. without having an acceptable standard very unlikely a renderer will ever implement the use of the hw relation.

Any volunteering to organize a working group to discuss the highway tagging, agree on a standard and document it on the wiki.
changing the osm DB can be done easily with some (semi)automatic edits later.