[Talk-us] Community Involvement

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 01:48:37 BST 2010

It would be interesting to see what organic growth might come from a
set of well documented tagging and geometry creation/editing
guidelines for OSM. Notice I say "guidelines". Maybe that is a better
word than "standard", which may sound restrictive. I don't think an
"enforcement" approach would work with OSM. However, sharing a tagging
and geometry creation/editing strategy that people can adopt if they
choose might work. Similar approaches have been succesful in the open
source software world.

When I think about building a OSM data import/export plug-in for
OpenJUMP, I think a lot about tags. On import I would need to set up
some type of analysis of tag frequency in the imported data. Then I
would need to let the user set some type of filtering to determine
which tags became feature attributes. For example: If a tag occurs in
75% of the features being imported, create an attribute on all
features for this tag. Otherwise, ignore this tag.

Obviously being able to increase the consistency of tagging would make
this type of data import more useful. That's what got me thinking
about it, anyways.

I see some seriuos opportunity for OSM improvement there.

I need to do some more work to test some of these concepts before I
keep shooting my mouth off. I'll keep listening to this mailing list
and I look forward to seeing what the OSM US organization can
accomplish. I commend Serge and the others for their hard work on
this.

Landon