[Talk-us] Community Involvement

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 04:35:13 BST 2010

On 18 Jul 2010, at 6:07 , Serge Wroclawski wrote:

> I want to be clear on the outset that this mail is personal, and while
> I'm going to discuss some OSM US business, I'm not speaking on behalf
> of the organization or the board in this mail.
>
> With that out of the way...
>
> At the OSM US board meetings, one area of frequent discussion is "How
> can we get the community to be more involved with us?"

did you ask if there is a community at all? Even this list is literally silent.
why bother with an US board if there is so much to map and so few mappers.

> So this is an open ended question:
>
> If you're in the US, what are your thoughts on the OSM US?  Is there
> something you wish we were doing that we're not? What would you like
> to see the organization doing? And how can we get you (personally)
> more involved?

What can a US board offer? I know there was much talk about what can be done. All this is on a legal, organizational, governmental contracts, fundraising level…  I'd say community first and the rest will follow

> I'm really looking for practical answers, something we can take action
> on and accomplish.
>
> If you joined the organization, first, thank you, and second: What
> were your reasons for joining?
>
> And if you haven't yet joined the organization: Why not, and is there
> something we could do to encourage you to join?

Simply don't see a personal reason for it or where and how it will help osm in US.