[Talk-us] Community Involvement

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Tue Jul 20 09:01:21 BST 2010

So I think having a formal organization can enable people to do
certain tasks.  There are plenty of situations where it isn't needed
of course.

Examples where it can help:

-We wanted to put on a conference, it is much easier to have a formal
organization for sponsorship and reserving a venue.
-There has been talk about wanting to have Tagwatch and Extracts for
the US.  Can you do that without a formal organization?  Sure.  Can
you get donations for hardware as an individual? Perhaps.  But it is
easy to have an organization own such a resource.  The actual day to
day running I would hope would be the community.
-Some people want to set-up OSM education programs.  Not impossible as
an individual but can be easier as an organization.
-There is a crew that wants to get a bus and drive around the US
having mapping parties.  Could someone just buy a bus and do it on
their own? Sure. Do we think it would be easier as an organization?
yes

So none of these things have to happen with a formal chapter, but
there are those of us that think they would be easier with one.

-Kate