[Talk-us] Route Relation Nitpicking

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Mon Jun 21 14:48:17 BST 2010

* Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com> [2010-06-18 14:19 -0700]:
> yes it makes sense to support relations here. in general tags on relations
> are used to push them onto all members. I think this is done already during
> db import. mapnik will never see a relation itself.

Not exactly.  osm2pgsql adds additional ways for each relation, so you get
some duplication of ways, but with different tags.

> as long as there is no common agreement on route relations there will be no
> wide renderer support. technically this is really easy to implement.

The duplication makes it harder.  I'm trying to work on this, because I'd
like to see proper shields on US roads.

--- --
"I was talking aloud to myself.  A habit of the old: they choose the
wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the
young are wearying."
                       -- _The Lord of the Rings_, J. R. R. Tolkien