[Talk-us] New List: osm-professional

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Mar 3 11:50:14 GMT 2010

Sam,

As much as I would love to put on a three piece virtual suit and
synergize the paradigm with everyone that is not the intent of the
professional list.  I can only speak for the United States in this
regard, but we can't direct various government organizations and
non-profits at the talk list.  Groups have been put off by the talk
list before.

There is a growing group of local and state governments that want to
interact with OSM.   If we just say "sure join the talk list," we lose
people who don't care for the kind of interaction that sometimes goes
on there.  Not everyone has the good humor to think "oh the talk list
here they go again, isn't it cute."  I like to think of the OSM
professional list as a gateway drug to the community.

Maybe nobody else thinks this is important, but I do know there are
those that won't speak up as well.

Kate
user:wonderchook