[Talk-us] proposed first principles for United States road tagging

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 17:31:19 GMT 2010

On 8 March 2010 22:23, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> That's true, which makes me wonder if it's time to move primary/secondary/
> tertiary from ways highway= tags to route relations (since those three
> highway tags speak more to the kind of route on the way rather than the
> way itself).

I am not sure how route relations would solve the consistency problem. The
route relation is providing a different layer of information that is needed.
In addition, you can see that a route in France (we use them) can be quite
different in different locations. One of the national road that I used
regularly in France (N154) is very interesting as you go from what you would
consider to just a secondary road to a primary road and back to a secondary
road in some locations. The route is giving us some consistency for the
location of the entire route, but that is it.

Emilie Laffray