[Talk-us] UX Review

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 07:41:35 GMT 2010

Great idea for do user testing!

My thoughts:
- For new users start with the what brought you.. poll, then from that build
a few tests and get volunteers to try some specific tasks.  The idea of a
few users doing specific tasks to look for the really glaring stuff sounds
good.
- start small and build from those findings.  Only go larger if the small
tests aren't productive say at least 10 hot items.
- Get screen casts with voice inputs on what they are trying to do and why.
- do not limit it to the new users, but the user levels should be different
studies.
- I see no reason why this could not be applied to potlatch, JOSM, merkator
(any other OSM software) and the wiki as well.  Even to getting maps on a
garmin GPS or what ever else new users might have as reasons for signing up.

A side item, where making tasks easier is problematic or fails.  Do video
tutorials with a transcript or written instructions to go with it.

--
Dale Puch