[Talk-us] UX Review

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:36:37 GMT 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:02 AM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> * Once in some very small sample size (perhaps between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in
> 10,000 signups) a popup appears
> * The popup says something like "Hi! We'd really like to know why you came
> to OSM" and they say simply why. This is open ended on purpose so we catch
> as many things as we can, not just what we're looking for, but things we
> won't expect.
> * They're offered to record a short (10 minute max) screencast of them
> trying to achieve whatever it is (like look at a map, find OSMers, add a PoI
> and so on)
> * That screencast is analyzed in aggregate with many others by Bolt |
> Peters with all their expertise in doing this stuff, and they come back with
> a  set of findings.

Won't this skew our answers a little bit? Users will have to download or
install some sort of screen capturing application and answer this question.
If I were a novice OSM user and saw this request *and* had to figure out
Potlatch or JOSM, I would be even more inclined to back out of fixing the
location of the ice cream stand.

> What should our goals be? (General UX? How good/bad signup is? How good/bad
> editing is? How is it finding info?)
> How often should we ask a signup for feedback? (the more the better but we
> can only look at so many)
> How can we include more crowd source feedback? (I think of asking random
> signups for feedback as crowdsourcing it)
> What else should we think about?

I think editing of various kinds should be looked at: anywhere from simple
POI adding/changing (how do they figure out how to describe the POI?) to
adding/changing a road network (how do they decide what kind of road it
is?).

Thanks for getting this rolling Steve, I think it'll help!
-Ian