[Talk-us] Getting data from ArcIMS servers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 15 19:23:03 BST 2010

Toby,

Toby Murray wrote:
> So I guess the main question is: Is anyone already familiar with this
> format and/or would there be much demand in the OSM community for
> something that uses it?

The ArcIMS server does have the capability of serving WMS clients (by
means of something they call WMSConnector). It is not unlikely that your
county actually has this enabled - which would solve all your problems
since WMS servers can readily be accessed by the major editors (oh well,
at least by JOSM and Merkaartor, I hope RichardF isn't on this list too).

Another avenue you could try is using the TileCache software which has
support for ArcIMS backends, so you should be able to create tiles from
the county server, then serve up these tiles through your own, even
local, web server for use by your editor. Potlatch and JOSM can both
display tiles in the background (not sure about others but likely they
can do it too).

Of course you could also extend JOSM's WMS plugin to work with ArcIMS
natively, or write a standalone ArcIMS to WMS gateway.

Bye
Frederik